Fisheries Situationer, January – December 2016

January 2016 to December 2016


In 2016, volume of fisheries production was reduced by 6.34 percent from its previous year’s level. The decline was reflected in all subsectors, namely: commercial (6.35%), municipal fisheries (6.47%) and aquaculture (6.27%). By species, production cuts were primarily contributed by seaweed (3.48%), yellowfin tuna (0.81%), skipjack (0.46%) and carp (0.35%). Only milkfish displayed a positive trend of 0.21 percent of the major species.


The 1.02 million metric tons output of commercial fisheries was 6.35 percent less than the preceding year. Less species were caught because of hot sea water temperature brought about by El Niño phenomenon that prevailed during the first semester. In SOCCSKSAREN, less unloading of frozen tuna (skipjack and yellowfin) resulted from the conservation measures implemented by Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC) that ban some fishing activities and use handline gear in the high seas on January, February and from July to September of the year. Commercial fisheries comprised 23.33 percent of the total fisheries production.


A slow down by 6.47 percent was observed on municipal fisheries output. The volume of produce was posted at 1.14 million metric tons during the year. Of this quantity, 85.85 percent was accounted to unloadings in municipal fish landing centers while the remaining 14.15 percent was caught from inland bodies of water. Less fishing activities were observed as prolonged hot weather conditions was experienced in the coastal areas followed by rough seas and typhoons toward the end of the year. About 26.13 percent of the total fisheries is credited to municipal fisheries subsector.


Harvests from aquaculture farms reached 2.34 million metric tons during the year. However, there was a reduction by 6.27 percent compared to its level a year ago. High mortality and slow growth of species happened amid dry spell. Seaweed farms were affected by ice-ice disease and epiphytes. Scarcity of planting materials and low buying price offered by seaweed traders all year round resulted to less aquafarms in operations. Of the subsectors, aquaculture had the highest contribution of 50.54 percent to total fisheries.