Friday, March 10, 2017
The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) approved the request for clearance of the Metals Industry Research and Development Center (MIRDC) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) to conduct the 2016 Metalworking Industry Survey (MIS). Covered in the 2016 MIS are two sectors, which are metalcasting and heat treatment.
The survey, in general, aims to assess the metalcasting and heat treatment companies/shops on aspects such as employment size and profile of production workers, volume and cost of production, revenue, inventory of equipment as of 2016, and business outlook and plans for the next five years. MIRDC will use the results of the survey to determine issues and concerns in the metalcasting and heat treatment sectors and to identify the most appropriate programs for the said sectors that will significantly strengthen the metalworking industry.
Last year, the MIS was conducted covering the electroplating and welding sectors. Electroplating was defined as the sub-type metal finishing technique utilized mostly for industrial applications to enhance the surface of the manufactured component.
On the other hand, welding is defined as the process of joining metals resulting to a metal product. Survey results for the welding sector are expected to be released in April 2017 while the highlights of the 2015 survey results for electroplating sector are as follows:
- Nearly half (48%) of the respondents were classified as micro enterprises with capital amounting to less than PhP 3.0 million.
- 43% of the respondents reported that they employed less than nine workers only.
- The electroplating sector catered to mostly the jewelry industry.
- 52% of the respondents viewed the electroplating industry as a very competitive industry.
- Top sources of imported electroplated products were China, Japan,
South Korea, Switzerland, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Indonesia and the United States of America (USA) while the Philippines mostly exported electroplated products to Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, and Australia.
In March 2017, the MIRDC will start its data collection activities covering 85 metalcasting companies/shops and 63 heat treatment companies/shops located all over the Philippines. Sixty (60) out of the 85 metalcasting shops/companies and 14 out of the 63 heat treatment shops/companies are located in National Capital Region.
The total budget allocated for the survey is estimated at PhP 499,000.00 each for the metalcasting and heat treatment sectors to cover travelling expenses, supplies, printing as well as on the communication and data dissemination. Results of the survey for both sectors are expected to be released in December 2017.
The 2016 Metalworking Industry Survey was cleared for conduct on 27 February 2017 under the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10625 to:
- ensure sound design for data collection;
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents;
- effect economy in statistical data collection;
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection; and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
Companies/shops in the metalcasting and heat treatment sectors are enjoined to participate in the nationwide survey undertaking.
For further information on SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division (SSD) of the Standards Service (SS) with telephone numbers
(02) 376-1928 and (02) 376-1931, and email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
FOR THE NATIONAL STATISTICIAN:
JOSIE B. PEREZ
(Deputy National Statistician)
See more at the SSRCS landing page.